This page gathers digital resources of two kinds.
A) Links to written or directed works on history, photography and anthropology resulting from this project.
B) External online resources useful for our research. It includes links to digital archives and repositories of digital collections on photography in the Portuguese colonial case, particularly about Angola, and inspiring photography projects. As some of the resources are only in Portuguese, we signal it accordingly (PT).
If you have an online resource you would like to share with us, use the form.
Published and Directed
Ponte I. 2021, “An Angolan vernacular-language fiction film as para-ethnographic film: nationalism and the evolving politics of film circulation and reception”, History and Anthropology. doi: 10.1080/
Ponte, I. 2020, “An Openness to Experiment: Ruy Duarte de Carvalho’s Anthropological Field Photography in Rural Southern Angola and its Archival Reusages”, Kronos: Southern African Histories, 46(1). DOI: 10.17159/2309-9585/2020/v46a11
Ponte I. 2020, Archives, Films and Memories: ingredients to remember and to forget the past, BUALA.
Ponte I. 2019, 50 anos no Sul de Angola, 8 min. (PT only)
Ponte I. 2019, “Conhecer e Animar o Arquivo de Ruy Duarte de Carvalho“, in Lança, Marta (ed.), Diálogos com Ruy Duarte de Carvalho, Lisboa: BUALA & CEC-FL-ULisboa. (PT only)
- Africa through a lens
- holds photographs spanning over 100 years of African history, namely within the British colonial rule. An initiative of the UK National Archives.
- African Activist Archive Project
An online archive of more than 10,000 items such as photographs, related to activism in the United States to support the struggles of African peoples against colonialism, apartheid and social injustice from the 1950s throughout the 1990s.
- Arquivo Científico Tropical
- The digital platform of the former IICT, the Portuguese state institution dedicated to tropical knowledge.
- Colonial Press in Portuguese Language (Angola)
- Digitised press, edited in Angola during colonial times, housed at the digital archive of the of PUCRS Research Centre in Communication Sciences NUPECC, Brazil (PT).
- Diamang Digital
- Digitised documental, photographic and phonographic materials of the ex-Diamang, the Diamonds Company of Angola, operating in the Northeast region (PT).
- The International Mission Photography Archive offers historical images from Protestant and Catholic missionary collections in Britain, Norway, Germany, France, Switzerland, and the United States. The website is an initiative of the University of Southern California.
- Memories from Africa and Asia
- A dedicated bibliographic database, it also provides online access to digitised books related to the Portuguese colonial project (PT).
- Overseas General Agency’s photographic fund
- The National Archive of Torre do Tombo in Portugal, hosts a photographic fund created by the Portuguese Foreign Affairs Ministry in 1924, with images dated from 1928 to 1966. The fund includes photographs from Angola, such as from rural populations.